Take a vacation from my problems!


on , ,

1 comment



The first 1.5 minutes of this clip oddly came to mind yesterday as I watched my doctor write out a prescription for me.

Background: I have fibromyalgia, a chronic pain condition that's also linked to chronic fatigue. It isn't degenerative or terminal, but it also isn't curable. It's often linked with stress or trauma, which brings me back to my doctor's prescription. It reads:

+ ATTITUDE > + PERCEPTION > + BODILY REACTION
- ATTITUDE > - PERCEPTION > - BODILY REACTION

You are where your thoughts are. Where do you want to be? Choose where you want to be. You cannot eliminate thoughts; replace them with other thoughts. Count your blessings.

Watching him write the prescription I couldn't hide the smile on my face.

"Have you seen What About Bob?," I asked my doc.

"No, I don't think I have," he said.

I explained the scene in which Dr. Leo Marvin writes Bob a prescription to 'take a vacation from my problems'. With a wry smile, my doctor reached for his prescription pad and asked: "Do you want one?"

I laughed, and said I'll probably survive without it.

Sure, it was funny. And yes, I'm a psych grad who knows all about the link between state of mind and physical health. But my problem is this: I don't feel particularly good, great or wonderful (watch part 1 of the movie for this quote) about reminding myself of Bob Wiley. Who would?

1 comment